Wear it Purple was founded in 2010 in response to young people taking their own lives as a result of bullying and harassment from the lack of acceptance of their sexuality or gender identity.
We’re a not-for-profit association with a purpose to foster supportive, safe and accepting enviroments for rainbow young people. Our Vision is for rainbow young people to not be disadvantaged by their enviroments, and for their wellbeing to be equal with their peers. Research is damning with 75% of LGBTIQ youth experiencing some form of discrimination. 61% experience verbal abuse, 19% experience physical bullying. 24.4% of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual people experience depression. 36.2% of Trans Australians experience depression. This compares to 6.8% of the general population who experience depression.
Wear it Purple Day is held on the last Friday in August each year – this year being Friday 31st of August. In 2018 our theme is ‘Empower Together’ and we encourage all Australians to wear purple to show young LGBTIQ people they are loved, supported and empowered to bring their whole self to life.
Your financial donation helps us;
- Provide schools with valuable resources at no cost
- Ensure merchandise is affordable for all
- National growth and participation in pride events across Australia
- Official Wear it Purple Day events in every capital city, territories and regional areas (In 2018 official events only held in NSW and QLD)
- Fund new initiatives including participation in Pride events across the country and in 2018 a Rainbow Youth Party
We sincerely thank you for your support.